Lead us not into temptation (again) …
The Lord’s Prayer – Part 17
Wait a minute, doesn’t that contradict the rest of the Bible?
In giving the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus asked us to ask the Father in Heaven not to lead us into temptation. But why would God do this? Does the Bible say God will tempt us?
It is clear from James 1:18 that God will never do that.
So why would Jesus tell us to pray that God will not do something that God will not do?
My take om this, and I am no theologian – just someone trying to fathom out God from an Asperger’s point of view, is that it is to teach us to pray within the will of God. It is not about us, it is never about us. We pray for ourselves so that Thy will be done. It is all about God, even the intercessions are all about God.
The Lord’s Prayer is a good teaching tool because it teaches us what Gods will for us is.
- Give us this day our daily bread – It is God’s will that we have our needs met.
- Forgive us our trespasses – It is God’s will that we are forgiven
- As we forgive those who trespass against us – It is God’s will that we forgive others
- Lead us not into temptation – It is God’s will that we are not led into temptation
- Deliver us from evil. – God wishes for us to be delivered.
In fact God provides for us, forgives us, leads us and delivers us. Let us practice praying, and living according to his will.